Bright Ingredient in Teen Skincare: Coconut Oil
Why is Coconut Oil an important ingredient in teen skincare?
Coconut oil is another natural ingredient that has been used in skincare for many centuries; and some accounts support its use dating back thousands of years. Coconut oil is extracted from the kernel of the coconut palm and is comprised of many free fatty acids. It is a mild emollient and improves barrier function and healing of the skin. It is known to soothe inflammation and ultraviolet radiation damage. Most commonly recognized for its moisturizing properties, coconut oil treats dry skin, sunburns, and eczema. It is also found in many haircare products.
In this blog post, Dr. Casey reviews why she chose coconut oil as an ingredient for Bright Girl teen and tween skincare.
Coconut Oil Background
- Maintaining a strong skin barrier is essential for reducing skin inflammation, sensitivity, and irritability.
- Skin hydration supports the skin barrier; hydration can be achieved through humectants, emollients, and occlusives. Coconut oil is a commonly used and well-established skin emollient.
- Emollients fill the gaps between corneocytes (similar to mortar does in a brick and mortar configuration), strengthening the skin barrier.
- A strong skin barrier has been linked to fewer acne breakouts, a balanced skin microbiome, and better control of inflammatory conditions such as eczema. That's why coconut oil is so beneficial for acne-prone skin.
- Using skincare ingredients that work with skin during the teen and tween years helps young people achieve healthy and balanced skin.
- When selecting ingredients for Bright Girl skincare formulations, Dr. Angela chose actives that had well-established, clinical studies to support their efficacy. Coconut oil is one of those ingredients.
- Coconut oil is a proven ingredient that works well for all skin types.
Interesting Facts about Coconut Oil:
Coconut oil is extracted from the kernel of mature coconuts harvested from the coconut palm (Cocos nucifera).
Coconut is composed of many free fatty acids including lauric acid (49%), myristic acid (18%), palmitic acid (8%), caprylic acid (8%), capric acid (7%), oleic acid (6%), linoleic acid (2%), and stearic acid (2%).
Clinical studies have proven coconut oil to be safe in pediatric patients. These studies show that coconut oil decreases eczema severity, improves the skin barrier, and reduce transepidermal water loss.
Coconut oil can assist in wound healing by increasing blood vessel formation, fibroblasts (the cells that make collagen), and collagen turnover.
Coconut oil helps strengthen the skin barrier and settles inflammation in the skin after UV (ultraviolet) radiati0n.
Monolaurin is derived from lauric acid and makes up nearly 50% of coconut’s fat content. Monolaurin is antimicrobial against Staph bacteria as well as the bacteria that cause acne. It has also demonstrated antiviral and antifungal properties.
Coconut oil contains lauric acid which has been proven to decrease acne.
Coconut Oil is a BRIGHT ingredient in the following Bright Girl skincare products:
Bright+Clean Gel Facial Wash: This pH-balanced girls facial cleanser gently washes away dirt, sweat, and grime while moisturizing and protecting your skin.
Day+Bright 24-hour Face Cream: Packed with vitamin-rich nutrition for your skin, this lightweight and non-comedogenic girls moisturizer provides hydration while strengthening your skin.
Practical tips for Teen Skincare:
- Consult with your dermatologist or provider about your specific skincare needs.
- Coconut oil helps moisturize you skin and can be an important ingredient in your skincare regimen.
- Always remove makeup and wash your face before going to bed; use warm water and a gentle, pH-balanced cleanser such as Bright Girl Bright+Clean.
- Avoid harsh scrubbing (which can irritate the skin) and use gentle, circular motions to thoroughly cleanse the face
- For best results, follow the Bright Girl order of product application: Cleanse, Tone, Hydrate, Protect
I hope that this blog post has given you some additional understanding of coconut oil as an important ingredient in teenage skincare!