When considering the best skincare products for teens and tweens, there are some ingredients that are best to avoid!
An article published in Practical Dermatology August 2019 reviewed the top 7 ingredients that you DON'T want in your teenage skincare products:
- Parabens: Parabens are a common preservative in skincare. This ingredient can cause irritation and allergies.
- Formaldehyde: This is another preservation that can lead to allergies and skin inflammation; additionally, it may be harmful to the immune system.
- SLS/SLES: More than 90% of shampoos and body washes contain sulfates which can irritate eyes, skin, lungs.
- Synthetic Dyes: These potential irritants are completely banned in the European Union.
- Propylene Glycol: Often found in moisturizers and sunscreen to help with skin conditioning; but this cause dermatitis and hives.
- Chemical sunscreens: unknown consequences if a large amount is absorbed. Your best bet is to stick with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which are both physical sunscreen ingredients.
- Fragrance: Some fragrances can cause irritation or allergic dermatitis(we went with natural fragrance to give immediate positive reinforcement and encourage consistent habits in young people
Bright Girl products avoid all of these ingredients, with the exception of fragrance. When formulating for teen/tween skincare, we recognized the importance of creating immediate positive reinforcement of good habits. Appealing fragrance is a big part of this. Bright Girl fragrances are natural and help encourage consistent, healthy habits.
Bottom line: We left out all of the ingredients you wish to avoid; and included the ones that are good for your skin. The result is clean, SMART skincare that is specifically made for young skin. How BRIGHT is that?