Why is Witch Hazel such a helpful ingredient for teenage skincare routines? Witch hazel has been used for centuries to address skin concerns ranging from irritation to insect bites to acne lesions. In this blog post, Dr. Casey covers this active and how it can work as an effective ingredient in teen and tween skincare.
- Many teens deal with oily skin due to hormone changes that occur during this time in your life. Increased androgen hormone production, in both girls and boys, leads to more sebum, or oil, production in the skin. This oil production can contribute to acne formation in teen skin.
- Using skincare ingredients that work with skin during the teen and tween years helps young people achieve healthy and balanced skin.
- When selecting ingredients for Bright Girl skincare products, Dr. Angela chose actives that had well-established, clinical studies to support their efficacy. Witch hazel is one of those ingredients.
- Witch hazel is a proven ingredient that works well for all skin types, especially for oily teen /tween skin.
Here are some interesting facts about Witch Hazel:
- Witch hazel is derived from Hamamelis virginiana, a deciduous shrub whose bark is rich in tannins.
- This ingredient has been used for centuries due to its skin health benefits.
- The tannins and gallic acid in witch hazel provide anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and astringent benefits.
- Witch hazel helps treat redness and inflammation from sunburns.
- The astringent properties of witch hazel have been shown to reduce sebum, or oil, from the skin.
- Witch hazel-containing products can be effective in helping mattify the skin without dehydrating the skin.
- Witch hazel can be applied directly to acne lesions to help them clear up more quickly.
- It can also be used to settle itchiness and inflammation from eczema, insect bites, and other minor irritations of the skin.
Witch hazel is a BRIGHT ingredient in Bright Girl Bright Tone Hydrating Toner.
Practical tips for teenage skincare routines:
- Consult with your dermatologist or provider about your specific skincare needs
- Witch hazel can cause irritation and dryness when not used properly. Listen to your skin and discuss any side effects with your provider.
- When using witch hazel, it's very important to moisturize the skin. A non-comedogenic moisturizer such as Bright Girl Day+Bright 24-hour facial moisturizer helps restore hydration to the skin, keeping it strong and resilient.
- Always remove makeup and wash your face before going to bed; use warm water and a gentle, pH-balanced cleanser such as Bright Girl Bright+Clean.
- Avoid scrubbing (which can irritate the skin) and use gentle, circular motions to thoroughly cleanse the face
- For best results, use Bright Tone Hydrating toner as the second step in your skincare regimen: after washing your face and before applying moisturizer.
Thanks for reading these fun facts about Witch Hazel and teen skincare!